I like swaps. Well, sort of. Some I like more in theory than in practice. I’ve only had one good experience with the whole secret pal swap thing, so I plan to stick with one-off jobbies for now. This one sounds fun, so I joined. The deal is that you put together a package that reflects your hometown for your swapee. As usual, there’s a questionnaire, so here’s mine.Virtual Vacation Swap Questionnaire
1. If you could visit any state in the US, which would it be and why?
I’ve been to a lot of the states, but never to Alaska. I’d love to go there, to see the wildlife and wild scenery. And it would be the perfect place to wear all of my nice warm hand knit socks! On the other end of the spectrum, I’d also like to visit New York someday. Take in a few plays, see the big museums, eat lots of messy deli sandwiches.
2. If you could visit any country in the world, other than your own, which would it be and why?
I lived in England for a year while I was in grad school, and visited Scotland once. Since that time, I’ve become obsessed with everything Scottish, and I really want to go back there again, for a longer visit. I’d like to take a walking tour of the Highlands. I’d also like to go to more cities in Italy than Rome, which is the only one I’ve visited. And I’d love to go to Australia some day.
3. Have you ever driven across several states/providence/countries?
My grandparents were in Tennessee and Illinois while I was a kid, and we often drove cross-country to visit them. I’ve also driven up and down the East coast a bit, and from California to Oregon a bazillion times. My husband and I go to Ashland, Oregon every year for the Shakespeare festival.
4. Have you ever visited someplace you consider exotic? Where was it?
I guess a lot of people would consider Hawaii exotic, and I lived there for 2 years. I’ve also been to Russia. That’s probably not a lot of exotic travel in most people’s minds!
5. What was your favorite “travel” vacation? Why?
This is a tough one. They’ve all been enjoyable in their own way. I loved spending spring break a couple of years ago on the island of Kauai with our dear friends the Jones’s. That was a fun week!
6. Have you ever played tourist in your own home city/state (if international, country)? Explain.
California is such a big state, I’ve been a “tourist” in several places: Palm Springs, San Diego, San Francisco. I live in Sacramento, and I felt a lot like a tourist when I first moved here; visiting landmarks, finding my way around the one-way streets downtown, scoping out the best restaurants, etc.
7. Are you a museum visitor, beach comer or an amusement seeker?
Oh, my! I’m going to assume there’s a typo here and you meant comber! I love all 3. I’d say I’m more of a beach comber and museum visitor, but I like a bit of adventure, too. But mostly I like to take my time to see things, knit, eat, relax on vacation. I like to immerse myself in the culture of the places I visit.
8. What’s your favorite type of yarn?
I love merino wool, and cashmere, of course! I also like wool/silk blends. I love dk weight sock yarns, and zephyr lace yarn.
9. What’s your least favorite type of yarn?
I really don’t enjoy knitting with cotton, and I dislike novelty yarns very much. I like to do lace, cables, other textured stitches, so I use a lot of smooth yarns. Nothing glitzy or fancy. I’m also not a big fan of mohair.
10. What items do you like to knit/crochet?
I knit mostly socks and lace shawls/stoles. I also like to make felted slippers and hats and purses. I want to start making sweaters and shrugs, too, but I need to finish some other projects first.
11. What do you pack, knit/crochet wise when you go on vacation?
This is sort of embarrassing. I take as much as I can. It’s as if I think to myself, “O.K., I’ll be gone a week. There are 168 hours in a week, so I need to pack 168 hours worth of knitting. Plus extra in case I get bored, or there’s some strange warp in the time-space continuum and I have to fill more time and there aren’t any yarn shops anymore.” I usually take all of my many needles, just in case I want to cast on for something (my needles are all in a tackle bag, so they are easy to take along).
12. What other crafts do you do/would like to do other than Knit/Crochet?
Not really anything crafty except knitting. I’ve just started dabbling with dyeing (yarn, of course). But mostly I knit. And knit. And knit.
13. Are you allergic to anything? (Yarn wise or treat wise)
14. What is your favorite color? Least Favorite?
I love sage green, deep dark green, black. I don’t like orange or yellow all by themselves. Probably because my mom told me I look bad in those colors. I like blue.
15. Sweet or Savory (Treat not personality)?
Sweet/salty mix is my diet nemesis!
16. Anything else we are forgetting to ask that you think your partner desperately needs to know?
Just that I’m looking forward to virtually getting to know him/her!